Instructions for combining your existing Windows XP CD and burning a CD so that it’s merged with Windows Service Pack 2.
1. Copy the entire contents of your Windows XP Installation CD to a folder on your hard drive. In this example, I am using c:\xp
2. Make another folder for the Service Pack 2 file. In this example, I am using c:\sp2.
3. Download Service Pack 2 from Microsoft. Rename the file to xpsp2.exe
4. Bring up a DOS window by going to START–>RUN and type cmd and click OK. Type “cd\” and press ENTER
Type “cd sp2” and press ENTER
Type “xpsp2.exe /integrate:c:\xp” and press ENTER Now Service Pack 2 is being integrated with the information from the CD at c:\xp.
5. Download the Microsoft Corporation.img file. This is the file that makes the CD bootable. Save it to your c: drive.
6. Setup your burning software to burn the data.
For Nero 6:
a. Choose CD-ROM (Boot) from the New Compilation’s Boot page.
b. Under Source of boot image data choose “Image file” and Browse to the c:\Microsoft Corporation.img.
c. Select Enable expert settings (for advanced users only) and set the following: Kind of emulation - No Emulation
Number of loaded sectors - 4
Load segment of sectors - 07C0 Click NEW.
d. File Browser area, navigate to c:\xp. Select all of the files inside of that directory and copy them over to the left side for burning.
e. Click BURN and you’re done once the CD is complete.
For Roxio Easy CD Creator
a. Rename Microsoft Corporation.img file to BOOTIMG.BIN.
b. Select FILE–>NEW PROJECT–>BOOTABLE CD
c. Select ADVANCED and set the following: Bootable Disc Type - No Emulation
Load Segment - 0×7c0
Sector Count - 4
d. Click BROWSE and select the BOOTIMG.BIN file. Click OK
e. Select FILE–>CD PROJECT PROPERTIES and make sure that the FILE SYSTEM is set to ISO9660. You can also set the volume label to give the CD a title.
f. Click the ADVANCED tab and ensure the following are checked: Use Original File Date
Any MS-DOS 8.3 character file names
g. Click the FILE FILTER tab and just ensure that ALL FILES is checked. Click OK.
h. Drag and drop all files in c:\xp to the CD Project Screen. If you get error messages, click CHANGE ALL for all of them.
i. Click RECORD and start burning your CD.